Martingale Betting Strategy
Martingale system is by far one of the most popularly used staking strategies in the variable staking family. The underlying logic of the Martingale strategy is one that rests on a negative progressive formula or system. The simplest interpretation of that is that gamblers in their casino roulette gambling and betting will increase their bets when they lose and decrease their bets when they win. However long this goes, it’s believed to restore balance and health to the betting budget balance in the end. This article explains everything you need to know about the Martingale betting system.
- First thing is to determine base betting unit
- It requires you to double your base bet for every loss
- Every win returns you back to your base betting unit/amount
- Doubling wager per lost run is to help recoup loss at a long run
- Losses increases as stake increases
Martingale Betting Strategy Explained
A little history that you need to know, or probably knew already, is that the Martingale betting strategy was conceived in the casino world. Online or land-based casino gambling enthusiasts will be very familiar with this strategy. Martingale was very popular among those playing the popular casino game at the roulette wheel. The game is called Red-Black. In this game, casino gamblers will have to make a prediction of whether a ball will land on a red number or a black number. Gamblers then make then bet accordingly. The idea here is that gamblers will then double their stake amount for every consecutive loss till eventually the win. It is believed that one win is strong enough (because stake amount is being doubled per lost wager) to recoup what has been lost from the start of the bet and probably still leave some profit.
Definitive Properties of Martingale System
So how exactly does Martingale betting strategy works? Martingale system is one of those staking strategies that is trying to help you protect and maintain the health of your money (overall bankroll or betting budget) as you bet and gamble your casino roulette and place your online sports bets. Let’s summarize the operations and steps to take when considering Martingale system as your preferred choice of staking strategy:
- Players must decide on a base unit. To play your games and manage your stake using the Martingale system, bettors must reach a decision on how much they want to make their base unit/amount. Simply put, this is the first amount upon which you build the Martingale logic of staking and betting. Your base unit is your starting wager.
- One best practice is to factor in your overall bankroll (the sum total of money you set aside for betting and gambling). Make sure your base unit is not more that 1% or 2% of your betting budget money – you will understand why in the next points.
- The underlying logic of the Martingale strategy posits that for every wager that you place and lost, always double you next wager. That is, for every bet loss, the next bet will always be double of the immediate lost wager. If you bet $10 and it’s a loss, the next wager will be $20, and next after that will be $40, provided the $20 wager was also a loss.
- In a way, Martingale betting strategy provides players with an incredible money management strategy to manage losses.
- For every bet that you win, the Martingale system posits that players reset their wager and stake and return to the original base betting unit.
The Martingale System: A Lucid Example
Let’s try and clear things up a bit with one simple but clear example. Let’s assume that you’ve done your homework and squared your calculation; you finally found x. You concluded that you are going with the Martingale system to help you manage how much you stake will be for each wager. You were also able to decide that your base unit will be $5.
- This implies that your very first bet the first time in this time period of decision (i.e. betting budget per time), on sports betting or casino roulette, they very first amount you will play is $5.
- Let’s say the forces are with you and you win the first time bet of $5 within the betting budget we are working with. This implies that you second bet on casino roulette or sports betting will still be $5. This is because $5 is actually your base unit. You are basically resetting your bet and stake back this time that you win to your original base unit (though it doesn’t look much like it because you’ve only bet one time in this example).
- Let’s assume again that you were you lucky with your $5 first bet, so, it was a loss. The Martingale strategy then requires you to double this base unit ($5) on your next bet.
- Your next bet will be double of the loss wager ($5), which will make your bet this time to be $10.
- For the sake of example, if subsequent wagers continue to come back as losses, then you must continue to double the wager per betting run.
- The idea is that with multiple losses (i.e. consecutive runs of losses), one single win will be capable of returning your losses and restoring you to where you were supposed to be provided the first bet had gone well.
- However, one scary thing about Martingale strategy is that if your consecutive losses keep increasing with one single win, there is a good chance that your betting budget will run out and you will be tapped out of the system.
The table below shows an example of how this works. In this example, we work with the assumption that your bet odds on your various bets vary from -125 bet odds to +200 bet odds. We also assumed that your betting budget is $1,000. From the table, if your eleventh bet come back as a win, it means you would have survived 10 straight losses and get the profit amount your first bet was supposed to win for you (the 10 consecutive losses never happened). However, if the eleventh bet is also a loss, then, your $1,000 betting budget will not be able to bankroll your 12th bet:
|Bet||Stake||Loss Recovery||Bet Odds||Overall Bankroll|
Why you should choose Martingale Betting Strategy
For a player to be successful in his betting and gambling endeavors and make significant winning, such player must shield himself from associated risks in betting and gambling (like losing your bankroll and falling victims of ugly bet odds) taking some safety precautions as far as betting and gambling goes. Your betting budget is everything. An intelligent player already understands that for winning to be guaranteed, a unit of his betting budget, which is stake, that the player make use of to wager, must be well managed. Player must device staking strategies and plans that will protect him from bankruptcy when he goes about his staking in casinos and online sports betting.
When you play your stake using the Martingale system, it’s not a sure bet that you will not lose. What Martingale system does is find a way to shield and protect you from the impact and loss you are supposed to suffer from these consecutive losses.
When you lose bets and you double stake as a reaction, Martingale system is making sure that by the time you win, deficit balance that accrued to player when they lose are wipe on one single bet that is won. With a relatively small base betting unit, a considerably sizeable betting budget, favorable bet odds, and a little bit of winning luck in your affairs at casinos, you should be well on your way to health bankroll and winning experience.
For those looking for a little more flexibility, check out our article on the Fibonacci Betting strategy.
Want More Relevant Information?
If you are not sure on where you could try out the Martingale System in the online casino arena, check out our Sports Betting Comparison and make sure you start betting small and learn the strategy before trying to get the big wins and spin up your bankroll.