Best Sports Betting Sites in the USA 2021
As the gambling laws in the USA keep loosening, there are more sportsbooks available for punters. On this page, we will cover all states where sports betting is legal in the USA and compare sportsbooks. You will find the latest information about sports betting legislation, the best sportsbooks, and much more. Our experts tested US sports betting websites upon different criteria to bring the best ones to your fingertips. Another convenient feature is that you can filter out the best online betting sites from each state. Do you want to place your wagers at top betting sites? Find them on this page!
- The Best Sports Betting Sites for Each State
- Top or Flop: Our 10 Criteria for a Good Sports Betting Site
- Constantly Evolving Legal Landscape in the USA
- Betting Types at Best Sports Betting Sites
- Sports to Bet on at Best Sports Betting Sites
- Comparing Online and Offline Platforms
- Comparing Illegal Platforms to Licensed Options
- Getting Started With Your Online Account
- Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonus
- Our Top 5 Betting Apps
- 8 Tips for the Beginning
The Best Sports Betting Sites for Each State
To make things easier for you, we have highlighted the best sports betting sites for each state. Simply find your state in the list, and learn more about the best online sportsbook available for you! We will try to keep that list up-to-date all the time. But if you want to be sure, use the comparison above and choose your state there.
- Arizona – Caesars Sportsbook: If you are from the state of Arizona then we would recommend checking out Caesars Sportsbook. After joining forces with William Hill this bookmaker really became a big one in the market and offers great promotions as well as a huge amount of sports to bet on. In addition, Caesars is a well-known and trusted brand across the states, so you can feel comfortable betting here.
- Colorado – Caesars Sportsbook: Sports betting legislation in the USA opened the door to some of the biggest brands in the industry. Ceasars is definitely one of them, as it is a well-known and traditional sports betting brand. It is available in several states, and Colorado is one of them.
- District of Columbia – BetMGM: BetMGM is a reputable sport betting brand, and if you sign up for an account, you can get a pretty lucrative offer. If your first bet loses, BetMGM will refund your stake up to $600! This is one of the reasons why this sportsbook is the best choice for punters from the District of Columbia.
- Illinois – BetRivers: BetRivers is another respectable bookmaker, and it is the best choice for players from Illinois. If you register for an online account, this sportsbook will match your first deposit up to $ 250. It is one of the most lucrative offers on the market, and you should take advantage of it.
- Indiana – Caesars Sportsbook: Caesars is the top online sportsbook in Indiana as well. It has more than 20 sports on offer, and besides the major sports, you can place your wagers on boxing, UFC, and auto sports as well. Live betting is also available, and you can put your bets even after the event starts.
- Iowa – BetRivers: Highly competitive odds make BetRivers stand out from the competition on the market. Therefore, if you are placing your bets in Iowa, BetRivers is the best choice for you. You can dip into various markets and find excellent prices.
- Michigan – BetMGM: BetMGM is also available for punters from Michigan, and it quickly became the best operator in the state. Its website is clean and neat, and user-friendliness is a the top level. You can also enjoy the live streaming feature, which will boost your wagering experience.
- Nevada - Caesars Sportsbook: One of the biggest sports betting brands is available in Nevada as well. Caesars Sportsbook offers a pretty generous welcome bonus to its new customers as you can get your stake back up to $ 5,000 if your first bet loses. Besides the welcome offer, existing punters can count on periodical promo offers as well.
- New Jersey – Caesars Sportsbook: The best sportsbook for players from New Jersey is Caesars Sportsbook. This operator provides a wide range of payment methods, both for making deposits and withdrawals. Besides the standard options such as credit and debit cards or bank transfers, you can fund your account via e-wallets as well.
- Pennsylvania – BetRivers: BetRivers impresses for its highly competitive odds and an extensive offer of different sports. Punters can place their bets on the major leagues and sports, while they can also dip into the cricket, cycling, or boxing markets.
- Tennessee – Caesars Sportsbook: Caesars Sportsbook is available in Tennessee as well and became the best operator in this state. This sportsbook provides an excellent user experience, simple navigation, and modern design. Whether you are a newbie in sports betting, you will easily place your bets at Caesars.
- Virginia - BetRivers: If you are on the go, BetRivers’ app will meet all your needs. Its top-notch mobile app is available on Android and iOS smartphones and tablets. All desktop features are available in the mobile app as well, and you also won’t miss any promotion.
- West Virginia – Caesars Sportsbook: Needless to say, but we will just in case, Caesars is a fully secure sportsbook to place your bets at. This operator obtained licenses from many states and became one of the most trustworthy bookmakers in the USA.
- Wyoming – BetMGM: Wyoming might be the smallest state in the USA (compared by the number of people living there) but that does not mean you're lost in regard to online betting. Since 2021 everyone in Wyoming may deposit money into the account of online bookies and bet on their favorite sport. We recommend to chose BetMGM in those cases. Good odds, great usability and a wide range of sports to bet on.
Top or Flop: Our 10 Criteria for a Good Sports Betting Site
When it comes to determining if a sports betting site in the US is up to scratch, you need to look at a wide range of variables. Thankfully, at AmericaGambles, this hard work is already done for you. You can quickly see which sports betting online platforms are best suited for your specific needs and preferences. To find the best sports betting site, you have to make sure you know what you are looking for.
Online Betting Offer & Odds: Get the best value
One of the first aspects you need to look at when assessing a sports betting platform is the type of sports and markets they have on offer. You want to make sure that all of your favorite sports like football, basketball, baseball or others are well catered for. It is a good idea to delve a bit deeper than the surface level and look to see what types of markets they have, as some platforms will have a lot of different sports on offer, but the level of markets within these sports is quite shallow. When you have determined that a sports betting site ticks the boxes in terms of the sports and markets, then you should look at the odds that are on offer. You want to ensure that you are getting good bang for your buck when placing sports bets. You will find that certain sports betting platforms have better odds in certain sports than some of their competitors. Even small changes in the odds you are getting will add up significantly over time, so this is an important point to consider.
In-Play Betting: Bet during games
In-play betting is massively popular among sports fans. People love having a stake on a game that they are watching and in-play betting allows them to adapt to what is happening after the game has started. This is opposed to a pre-game bet where there are a lot more unknowns. When watching a game like one of the NBA Basketball league or a football match, you can quickly identify potential trends and opportunities to profit. You want to ensure that the sports betting site has a good in-play betting facility whereby you can quickly place bets and that they have a variety of in-play markets for you to choose from. Some platforms will even allow you to live stream the games when you place these live bets.
Mobile Betting: Bet from anywhere
Mobile betting has never been more popular. People love having the ability to place sports bets on the go, no matter where they may be. It allows them to always have the opportunity to place a bet. Most sportsbooks will allow you to place bets via your mobile device. Some will have dedicated apps that you can download to your phone whereas others will simply allow you to place sports bets through your mobile web browser. The functionality of these apps will differ depending on the operator, as will the system requirements and device supports options.
Welcome Bonus & Promotions: Start off your account well
One of the best aspects about signing up for a new account with a sports betting platform is that you can avail of their welcome offer This is an incentive for new players to join a sports betting site. There will be different types of bonuses on offer depending on the specific operator. These will usually be in the form of bonuses or free bets. It is important that the terms and conditions of a welcome bonus are read, as many offers will appear to be great on the surface but the opposite is actually the case when you read the fine print. You also want to check to see what the promotions for existing players are like on a given platform. This will reward players for their loyalty by giving them regular special offers, such as free bets and cashback bonuses.
Customer Service: Resolve all issues
When you are looking at sports betting sites, you want to be sure that if you have any problems that you are able to quickly and easily get in touch with a member of the customer service team. You should check to see what hours the platform's customer support team operates and where the team is based. It is usually preferred when the team is based close to the operations of the company rather than being outsourced. You also want to ensure that there are a number of options for you to contact them and that the response times are adequate. You don’t want to be waiting for days and even weeks for a reply when you have an urgent question.
Payment Options: Look for well supported methods
With all online gambling platforms, you will usually have access to a number of different payment options when making deposits and withdrawals. You want to ensure that there are options which suit your circumstances first of all. Then you need to check to see what sort of transaction speeds you will be looking at and to see if there are any costs associated with using certain payment options.
Limits & RTP: Check out the probabilities
With most online gambling platforms, there are going to be limits that you need to consider on a platform. Certain markets will have curtailments as to how much you can place on a single bet. Some players may even get their max stakes reduced over time if they are too successful in a given market. There can also be limits on the total amount you can win, as well as limits on making deposits and withdrawals, all of which you need to be aware of.
Usability: Find an easy to use platform
It is important for the user experience that you are able to use a platform and place bets in an easy manner that does not stress the player out. The site needs to be easy to navigate and have a color scheme that is easy on the eye. You want to have a smooth experience that does not run into performance issues which hinder your ability to place bets. The same goes for both desktop and mobile platforms.
Security: Ensure funds and data is secure
When signing up for an online sports betting site, you want to ensure that both your funds and your personal data is kept safe. This means ensuring that the company has a license from a respected authority. You also want to ensure that they have the most up to data encryption technology in place to ward off potential attacks from nefarious individuals and groups.
Additional Offers: See where an offering stands out
There are many sports betting platforms that innovate and like to bring something different to the table to try and attract new players. These could be new types of markets or contests which are not really seen elsewhere. They could be innovative loyalty programs or in-depth analysis capabilities that far outstrip the competition. While this is one of the last things to look at when it comes to an operator, it can very often by the differentiating factor when you have a shortlist of options.
Constantly Evolving Legal Landscape in the USA
The gambling space in the United States is constantly changing. In recent years, there has been more of a move to expand gambling laws. For many years, most states were conservative when it comes to gambling. Most just had tribal casinos, race tracks and state lotteries on offer. Some had charitable gaming and a few allowed commercial casinos. However, in recent years this has all been changing. Online gambling is now being talked about in many more states.
The federal ban on sports betting was brought to an end in May 2018 after the Supreme Court voted on the issue. This paved the way for sports betting to spread across the country. States have been embracing sports betting due to the tax revenues they can bring in, as well as helping to eliminate the significant funds going towards criminal enterprises that are operating black market sports betting.
States that are traditionally very conservative when it comes to the likes of gambling are now looking at sports betting as they do not want to fall behind neighboring states in this regard. It is also being used to pave the way for gambling expansion in other forms going forward. It is up to each individual state to decide for themselves what stance they take in the gambling sector.
States with legal Sportsbooks
Betting Types at Best Sports Betting Sites
An important criterion to pick the best online sports betting site is the variety of betting types on offer. If you are not experienced enough in sports betting and unsure what betting types the best sportsbooks should cover, check the list below. You will also learn more about each of the most popular wagering types.
- Single Bet: Let’s start with the most straightforward betting type. As its name says, a single bet is a wager on just one event. If your prediction of that sports event is correct, you win a bet. You can simply calculate your potential payout by multiplying your stake with the odds.
- Combination Bet: Unlike the single bet, a combination wager consists of two or more events on the same bet slip. To win this kind of bet, you need to land correct predictions of all selected events. This betting type is also known as a Parlay or an Accumulator bet, or shortly, Acca.
- System Bet: What if you want to bet multiple selections and win even if not all of them are correct? A system bet is a perfect choice. Like in the combination wager, you put two or more events in the same bet slip, but you also specify what number of legs you expect to win.
- Over Under Betting: You don’t need to be focused only on picking a winner of the sporting event. Over Under betting provides you the opportunity to predict the total number of goals or points in the game, regardless of a winner. A sportsbook sets a margin, and you should predict whether a total number of goals or points will be over or under the margin set.
- Double Chance Bet: A Double Chance bet allows you to cover two possible outcomes in three-way games. It is an excellent choice for hockey or soccer matches, where a draw is one of the possible outcomes. Therefore, your chances of winning a double chance bet are 66,7%.
- Spread Betting: Spread betting is very popular among punters, especially in basketball and football. Besides picking the winner of the contest, you should correctly predict the winning margin as well. Again, the bookie sets the margin, and you bet on whether the team you select will “beat” it.
Sports to Bet on at Best Sports Betting Sites
You shouldn’t underestimate the number of different sports a bookmaker has on offer. The best ones cover multiple sports, and if they want to be respectable at least, they should cover these most popular ones. These sports should be available to wager on in any respected sportsbook.
- Football: Football is one of the most famous sports in the USA, and it has a huge fanbase. Therefore, NFL matches should be fully covered, and you should be able to dip into various markets. Besides betting on NFL games, a sportsbook should also have the outrights markets.
- Basketball: Since basketball originates from the USA, it is natural that it’s one of the most popular sports. Punters can enjoy hundreds of games during the NBA season, while you can also find college leagues on offer in states where it is legal to bet on college sports.
- Hockey: Hockey is a fast-paced sport packed with action and lots of excitement. NHL is the top competition, and the best bookmakers have it fully covered. As it is an interesting sport to bet on as well, you should be able to find different markets.
- Baseball: Baseball is another American sport considered a major one. It also drives a considerable interest in betting on this sport, especially MLB matches. Therefore, it is an inevitable sport in any reputable bookie’s offer, garnered with various markets.
- Soccer: Soccer might not be as popular as the above four sports in the USA, but it’s the most famous sport globally. Besides the MLS, the best sports betting sites offer matches from other popular leagues worldwide. The English Premier League, La Liga, or the Champions League drive the biggest attention among punters.
Comparing Online and Offline Platforms
Both online and offline sports betting is now on offer in the United States. Many casinos and other facilities such as sporting arenas and racetracks are able to offer retail sports betting. This means that you go to the facility and place your bet usually on a betting slip. Some facilities will have self-serving kiosks where you can place a sports bet without using a cashier. These facilities usually have lounges where you can watch the games unfold. Mobile sports betting on the other hand can be done from anywhere in the state once you have a mobile device and an internet connection. You simply log into the app or web browser account and place the bet you want.
Generally, the offering is going to be similar whether you are placing an offline or online sports bet. The odds may change somewhat. Some operators will have better odds online, but certain states have higher tax rates for online bets, so the odds may be the same or worse online than their offline alternative. Therefore, it is a case by case basis in this regard. Generally, you will get better bonuses through online platforms as they are easier to administer and people generally will place more bets online. In terms of flexibility, the advantages of online sports betting are obvious as you can place bets on the go no matter where you are in the state.
Comparing Illegal Platforms to Licensed Options
For many years, there was no form of legal sports betting whether it was online or offline in most states in the US. Thankfully, this is now changing, but a lot of people still use these illegal offshore platforms using the likes of VPNs. Naturally, it is not legal to use these offshore platforms, but in most states this is not criminalized. However, you are not going to have any consumer protection in case something goes wrong and it could see you losing all of your funds that are on that platform if something goes wrong. Some payment processors in the US are even looking into blocking transactions from these sites, so it will be very hard for you to withdraw funds from these offshore platforms. Generally, it is far safer using a license platform in your own state. This means that your funds are easily withdrawn, your personal data is properly kept safe and you are not putting yourself at risk of getting on the wrong side of the law.
Getting Started With Your Online Account
The registration process for a sports betting site is very straightforward. Once you are prepared, it will not take long before you are placing online sports bets. Here is a short checklist;
- Ensure the platform caters for your favorite sports and market
- Make sure the platform offers decent odds
- Ensure that relevant payment options are on offer
- Be aware of how you redeem the welcome bonus
- Check to see if the platform supports mobile and in-play betting
- Ensure that the platform is properly licensed and have good security protocols in place
- Inform yourself about loyalty programs
- Make sure that you can register for the platform in your state
- Google the platform to ensure that they are not in any financial difficulty.
- Check the AmericaGamblers review to ensure that they have a good all-round offering
Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonus
When you sign up for a new sports betting site, you are going to be able to avail of a new customer bonus offer. This is the ideal way of kicking off your new account in style. A lot of bookmakers will have large bonuses but their offerings may not suit your needs. Therefore, you need to ensure that a platform ticks all of the boxes and that you are not just signing up because of the bonus offer.
Our Top 5 Betting Apps
Another key consideration when choosing a sports betting site for your needs is their mobile play capabilities. You want to ensure that you are able to easily place bets on your mobile device. Some people prefer to do so on a dedicated app whereas others prefer doing so through a browser. This will not be the be all and end all when it come sot choosing an operator, but it does play a factor.
Mobile Payment :No
Sports Count :15+
Mobile Payment :No
Sports Count :16+
8 Tips for the Beginning
When starting off with sports betting, there is a steep learning curve. At AmericaGambles, there is a school (betting guide) where you can learn the ropes properly. Here are some brief tips for you in the beginning;
- Stay within your means: When you are starting off with a new account, only deposit what you can afford to lose. Even if there is a good welcome offer deposit bonus, only deposit what you feel comfortable with. If you lose more than you can afford, this can lead to a spiral where you try to chase your losses.
- Experiment: You should try out a variety of different markets to see which is best suited to your needs, you will often be surprised at the results. This allows you develop a strong strategy going forward.
- Avail of offers: Make sure that you are fully aware of your welcome offer entitlements. You should read the terms and conditions and know exactly what you are entitled to and how to make the most of it.
- Understand risk: A lot of bets will be flashy and promise large rewards but you need to consider the probability of this event actually happening. You should know what types of bets are going to be most profitable for your specific skillsets.
- Analyzing your performance: A key part to being successful at sports betting is looking at your past performance. You will notice trends, such as which sports and markets you earn the most profit and those which you should avoid going forward.
- Stick to simply bets in the beginning: You want to get off to a good start and you should stick to the basic markets to ensure that you get a few wins under your bet. Sticking to single and doubles instead of complex bets like Yankees and lucky 15s when starting off is key.
- Develop a strategy: After a while, you will learn the basics of sports betting and you will then be able to know what areas you performan the best in. You should use this information to create a solid plan in which you can follow going forward to increase your chances of being profitable in the long run.
FAQ10 Important Question and Answers about Sports Betting
You want to see if the operator holds a license in your state, as well as ensuring that they have the latest in encryption technology.
This will vary on a state by state basis, so you need to be fully aware of the relevant laws before signing up for a platform.
Some sites will only allow you to withdraw a certain amount of money in a given time period or via a certain payment method.
You should see expert help immediately and add yourself to a self-exclusion list so you can no longer use a given gambling platform.
Only deposit within your means. You should deposit funds that you are willing and able to lose.
Bonuses can be a great way to give yourself a boost and play with the house’s money. You can experiment in new markets or try to maximize your profits.
The best sports to focus on are those in which you have a bank of knowledge and experience in. This will better allow you to spot potential opportunities to profit.
This is not a good idea. You should not have any bias or loyalty when it comes to sports betting. Try to put on an objective hat and not have any biases which could lose you money.
They use probabilities and statistics in order to stack the odds in their favor. They often curtail the stakes of those who win a lot of money over time too.
Some platforms will have loyalty programs where you can earn bonuses depending on the volume of bets you place over time.