Online Poker Heads Up 2021: Tips, Strategies & Poker Sites
Online poker heads up is a type of poker that is played between two players. It is usually a cash game or a tournament involving two poker participants. Online poker heads up is often more exciting than the usual poker games like Texas hold’em because it employs different strategies and tricks. In a lot of online poker sites, there are usually event series which allow players to play poker heads up. It is often a winner-take-all format. During the competitions, to make it fair for all participants involved, the players who finish at the same point of the tournament bracket would receive the same amount of cash, irrespective of their finishing place.
Online poker heads up is usually seen, by poker players, as a true test of your skills and strategies in playing poker. This is because you have to play with another player, head-on, and so it is usually played more by professional poker players. Even with that, it provides opportunities for beginners also to compete. You can also play online poker heads up with friends. Online poker heads up is a great poker variant to try out if you’re looking to expand your horizons in playing poker.
- Online poker heads up is played with two players
- It is riskier than average poker games because the match goes on till a player is broke
- Aggression is the most common strategy used when playing heads up
- The game makes use of a standard deck of 52 cards or more
Online Poker Heads-Up: How to Play
When playing online poker heads up, there is a different feel because it is more about strategy than luck as it is in other variants of poker. When playing online poker heads up, the two participants are placing their bankrolls on the line because the match would go on until a single player is broke. It is also different because, in other poker variants, the players might not focus on you directly, but when competing at online poker heads up, you are the only one that your opposition can aim for.
If you don’t know how to play standard poker and Texas hold’em poker, it would be difficult for you to play heads up poker online.
- On a full poker table, there would be nine times more hands dealt cards with the opportunity of beating your hand. Because you are competing with only a single person, there would be a slim chance of them beating you after they have been dealt a hand. Therefore, a hand in online poker heads up is usually won by a pair or a high card.
- Also, unlike on a full table, full houses, flushes, and straights would not happen often. There is a low chance of the board getting connected with anything because there are fewer hands dealt in the game.
- In online poker heads up, the face value of your cards is more important than your possibilities or chances of pulling off a straight or flush.
- One of the unspoken heads up poker rules is that having any ace, irrespective of what your other card is, gives you a 52% or more chance at winning against your opponent's hand if the opponent has a single random hand. This is because the participants would get a lot of unpaired cards when playing, and so it would be difficult to get a high card or a pair to win.
- Another unspoken heads up poker rule is that a pocket pair is more valuable than having any ace. Having any pair can give you an advantage over your opponent’s high card hand.
- In a game of online poker heads up, the aggressor has control over the hand. Also, if you want to win, you have to steal a large part of your competitor’s blinds before they can realize it.
Online Poker Heads-Up Strategy
Be Familiar With Your Opponents Play
When playing online poker heads up, you should take note of your opponent's strategies and moves. Your competitor might be inclined to repeat some of their moves, and so you should read your competitor and take notes on them. This would be easier to do because you have only a single rival unlike in other poker variants like Texas hold’em. When you do this, it would be easy for you to make your moves strategically and take advantage of your rival’s mistakes.
Calculate Your Bets
You would have to learn about the odds of poker before you participate in an online poker heads up. After calculating the odds of what has been dealt to you and your opponent, you would be able to make decisions and make logical moves quickly.
Be the Aggressor
This is the most popular and useful online poker heads up strategy. The aggressor is the one who has control over the game. Playing online poker heads up requires that you should be able to face your opponent head-on, and so you have to have control over the competition. This means that you have to make it more difficult for your competitor to win the game. When playing aggressively, also make smart bets.
Be a Calling Station
If your rival has taken control of the match, you can try to outdo them, or you can become a calling station. You might avoid becoming a calling station when playing poker on a full table, but in this case, it is a great online poker heads up strategy. You can defeat them by being a calling station by putting your opponent on a hand and then calculating the odds of their hands versus your hand. Then, when you let them see your fourth and fifth street, you might win. If you’re wondering how to dominate heads up poker with this move, remember that it is more about being unpredictable when competing in this professional game.
Be Flexible with Your Playing Style
Don’t stick to a particular playing style throughout a game because you can become predictable to your opponent. If you do so, you can easily fall into a trap laid by your opponent. For example, every time you receive weak cards, do not always fold.
Online Poker Heads-Up Tournament
Online poker Heads up competitions are very popular in almost every online poker site that offers heads up poker. If you think you know how to dominate heads up poker, you can sign up for one. The events are held between two players at a time. Online, you can quickly sign up for the tournament when the time has come. They are usually in a winner-takes-all format unlike in other competitions like the Texas hold’em, and so everyone is competing with their bankrolls on the line. The participants that signed up are divided into groups of two, and so the games are played in the different groups. The winner of a group would get to the next level where they can play with the winner from another group. This continues until the online poker heads up tournament are left with the two finalists. They both play, and the winner takes all.
Online Poker Heads-Up Tournament Tips
Focus on Winning Each Round
Because it is a competition, you might be in a hurry to win and get to the top, but you have to take it easy. Play with the usual strategies during each game and try to win each round so that you can get to the next level. The online poker heads up strategies listed above are very important in winning a tournament.
Take Note of the Blinds
The rate of increase of the blinds should determine how you change your playing style. The way the blind is increasing would make you adjust your aggressiveness, playing flips or bet sizing.
Your Open-Raises Should Vary
When taking note of the blinds, as they are increasing, decrease your open-raises amount so that you can have a healthy stack.
You have a long way to get to the top when competing at an online poker heads up tournament, so you should bluff any time you have the opportunity and play looser.
Best Online Poker Heads-Up Sites
The great thing about online poker heads up is that it is found in every respected site online so you won't have to look far to get a great site. Although you can always download an online heads up poker app, if you are interested in other online poker games, it is better to use a respectable online poker site. Our helpful poker comparison would provide you with all of the best online poker sites where you can start playing online poker heads up now.
Our sports betting comparison would provide you with the best online poker sites which are legal and provide great bonuses like free spins and no deposit bonus to make competing at online poker heads up fun and more inviting. These bonuses are usually available for newcomers on their sites, so if you sign up now, you can snag up a great deal!